MURGATROYD’S BRINE PUMPS MIDDLEWICH CHESHIRE
This page contains a series of videos and films related to the Murgatroyd's Salt and Chemical Company of Middlewich
A video produced by Steve Broadfoot giving a brief introduction the the history of the Murgatroyd’s Company and the project by Middlewich Heritage Trust to preserve and restore the brine pumps at Brooks Lane, Middlewich.
As part of the project to preserve the Murgatroyd’s Brine Pumps, the Trust released the following new video produced, scripted, and voiced over by trust member Steve Broadfoot showing the construction and later history of the Murgatroyd’s Salt and Chemical Works at Elworth, south of Middlewich.
A short film showing the John Thom firm boring for brine at Brooks Lane using a diamond drill, possibly filmed around 1951/2. From interviews it seems that they had some trouble putting in the borehole for the No 5 pump.
The voices are Jack Ashley (the pump man) and George Twigg (Head Chemist) with one of the plant managers, Mr McDermott on site.
Jack Ashley and George Twigg in conversation. The first part of the film shows Tom Lightfoot in control adjusting pressures. The second part shows Reg Cartledge working his shift as a lumpman. Jack and George discuss the difficulties of the lumpman’s job as we watch Reg making it look so easy.
The first part of this film shows J R Thomas, the Salt Plant Manager, at the construction of the Elworth factory which was designed by Sloan & Lloyd Barnes and constructed by A Monk and sons. The construction took place between 1947 – 1952, this film looks at the site being constructed.
The film than moves back to Brooks Lane to show a new borehole being sunk to provide brine for the factory.
We then return to the factory to witness the first salt production and the various other products being produced and, finally, returns to Brooks Lane for film of salt being produced by the traditional open pan system.
The film was transferred to CD from original cine film, taken by one of the members of staff. Many employees of the site were given copies as a memento and David Hough kindly donated his copy to the Trust.