© Copyright Middlewich Heritage Trust 2019. Registered Charity No 1161871. Company Limited by Guarantee No 9441581
Made with ❤ by Bloom Creative Design.
1. Brine from spring is collected in a holding tank or well.
2. Brine is removed from holding tank in a wooden bucket.
3. Brine simmering in salt-pan.
4. Salt residue is removed from pan after brine has been boiled off.
5. Collecting salt prior to removal from site.
6. Transportation of salt in baskets and sacks.
Follow the links below to see the open pan process of the 17th-20th centuries. What are the differences and similarities?
Also see the Canal and Salt schools resources pack and have a go at the virtual dig created by South Cheshire College. What can you find?
The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.